Monday, September 26, 2011

Eats Upgrade

"Ryan, for dessert, should we have grilled PB&Js, Yogurt with granola, or chocolate/peanut butter quesadillas?" 
Yup, we were lacking in desserts, it was obvious. While we did indulge in the decadent grilled  PB&J for lunch-dessert, we saved our quesadillas for dinner-dessert topped with a little scoop of ice cream, to help make it feel classy-ish. This was a college invention created by my roommate for a quick sugar fix. Pretty genius, but while our chocolate peanut butter combo did satisfy,I knew it was time to start baking. 



So yesterday, I strapped on the apron, (thanks to mom) and got to it. First off I decided to jump into new recipe, an Indian Curry my mom had made growing up along with the Indian Naan bread. I love me some Naan.

Bread always scares me, the whole rising and waiting and punching and kneading part doesn't always work for me. Or maybe I'm just impatient. But I insist: bread must be cooked in my kitchen, it smells to good to be neglected.. so naan was floured and made to rise in my kitchen.. Success!





The Indian Curry was also a waiter. Relatively simple but an hour of boiling does require some time management skills. So worth the wait though. 


The Naan recipe you can find here
The Indian Curry is as follows:
  • Slice and grill two onions
  • Put the following ingredients in a blender to make masala: 
    • 2 more onions, 4 garlic cloves, 2 in. of ginger, 1 tsp tumeric, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp paprika, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp coriander seed, 2 tsp chilli pepper and 2tbsp poppy seeds. Blend it up! 
  • Add masala to grilled onions and fry for 5 min. 
  • Add 2 lbs of chicken and 2 sliced tomatoes into mixture. 
  • Cook for 1 hour (you can add H20 to make more saucy) 
  • Add 1/2 cup yogurt 20 min before serving
  • Also serve with a cucumber/yogurt combo sauce. 
YUM. 

Oh but friends, I didn't stop here. 
I also decided to make some granola bars since they're so easy and cheap and definitely a necessity in the snack realm: 
A little crumbly, but tasty indeed



.. and yes, on the same night I decided to whip out some
  Chocolate Chip Banana Bread !
  We are feasting in the Fitz-hold. Had to invite my neighbor to come take some food from us it was so plentiful. 



And this recipe is definitely post-worthy it hasn't failed me yet! ( I even gut the sugar in half this time and put some whole wheat flour in!)

Bomb Choco-chip Banana Bread
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups white sugar ( I put 1)
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour ( I put 1 cup wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( I didn't put these in, your choice :) 
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Lightly grease 2 9 x5 in. loaf pans
2. In large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Stir in eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in the Mayo and bananas. Separately stir together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture; stir just enough to evenly combine. Fold in the Chocolate chips and walnuts. 
3. Bake at 350 until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean (about 50 to 75 min) Cool loaf in the pan for 20 min before removing onto wire rack. 

Ta-da!

Happy Monday! Now go off and cook yourself something delicious!
Love love, 

Na


No comments:

Post a Comment